"Not all who wander are aimless. Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."

Friday, May 23

HERE!!!

Josh and I in the tuk-tuk taxi


Sorry it's taken me so long to get out an "I'm fine" out...but I'm alive, well and loving it. Well, except for the fact that I just typed an entire blog post and lost it. Ugh! Let's see. Got a train to JFK airport at 8am wedneday. Took a few deep breaths on the way...more so because I thought I Should be nervous! Wasn't long before the guy in front of me at check in started talking to me...Wanye--came to Thailand over 20 years ago, fell in love and now holds residency. He quieted any fears I may have had and totally put me at ease. A few more deep breaths in line to board the plane but as soon as I hit the jet way (or gangway...or whatever it's called), it was all smiles! I had to keep myself from jumping up and down and running down the jet way! And once I boarded, the giddyness just intensified! The crew was so friendly, smiley and welcoming! And the plane and the crews' uniforms were SO colorful...how can you NOT smile?! I didn't sleep a wink on the plane and am not sure how I'm functioning right now! The plane ride flew by (no pun intended :) ) despite my inbility to sleep. Watched a few movies, learned Thai (they had a berlitz language game on the personal screen...how cool!), studied and ate! The native next to me was very friendly and helped me with my Thai pronounciation...and gave me her contact info insisiting that I call if I need help. I spoke with the girl across the isle towards the end of the flight...again, very friendly. She took my contact info and wants me to work (teach english) for her family business once I'm done with the course. What?! Not even landed yet and have a tenative job offer?! Sweet! Wayne was waiting for me when we landed and walked with me to our connecting flight (yes, we were on the same connecting flight!) and gave me his contact info in case I need anything! I PASSED OUT on the quick flight to Chiang Mai (CM) but was woken for my snack (they definitely don't let you sleep through meals!) and in time to see the beauitful landscape below. The sun was setting over the mountains as we were landing and I knew right away I picked the right city. I overheard an English guy (josh) behind me looking for a hostel so I introduced myself and invited him to come along to this hostel. Getting through "customs" was boarderline a joke...not sure why I was so worried about that! The hostel wasn't waiting at the airport so Josh and I jumped in a taxi and paid a crazy $2 for the ride! The hostel is more than doable...big bed, my own bathroom/shower, ac--though despite what I heard, they do not speak english! I like the hostel but it's not a great location and lacks that backpacker buzz (it's kinda quiet) so I may move in a day or 2 but we'll see) I met up with Josh and we wondered around the old city in search of the "highlighted" area on our map! We passed some crazy food vendors along the way that were selling foods I don't even think I could try once. Passed some beautiful Wats (temples) but couldn't get the full affect since it was dark (9pm). Eventually jumped in a tuk-tuk taxi and were loving it! They took us to the night bazaar and I was instantly amazed! Vendors selling everything and anything for crazy cheap (it was "mad" as my adorable, adoted reminder of phil Brit guy kept saying!). Found a place to eat...appeared to by "fancy-ish" and had locals inside so we went for it. Chicken with noodles and soya sauce....d-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s. Crazy fresh...I swear they must have made the noodles right then. They even had a band singing english songs and they kept urging me and josh to sing along...which we did!! Found a bar after that...and enjoyed an awesome mai tai. Found a strip of indoor bars later and it felt like we were walking down the red carpet...everyone waving, smiling, cheering...some even grabbed josh's arm. We were cracking up! They had a muay thai (boxing) ring in the middle of all the bars but we just missed the match (??)...all in good time! Josh stayed to brave the night and I went home and crashed. Passed out..until 4:30am. I'm getting by on such little sleep it's ridiculous! Hopefully my body clock will adjust soon. I just enjoyed my free breakfast...delicious...and met a girl from Michigan who is interning here. She gave me a few more helpful hints and we will hopefully meet up for dinner in the next few nights.
So far,
I've mastered "thank-you", "please", "trash", "hello", and "bar" (okay...that ones easy) in Thai
Accepted the fact that bug spray is my new lotion/purfume
I've taken a taxi ride for $2
ridden in a tuk-tuk...for $1.50
gotten a bottle of water for less than 25 cents
had a delicious (and huge) meal for less than $2.50
--guess it's true! It really is that cheap!
Not sure what today has in store but I'll keep you posted. Think I'm just going to lay low, study, get to know the city a bit until Danielle comes in a few days.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds great! I'm glad but not surprised that you have friends already. :-)

Sarah said...

Yay! It's kinda cool to know you are so 'close'. Ok, it's still far away - but not nearly as far! I'm so glad it all went well! Have fun exploring :)

Rachel said...

I'm so glad to hear all went well.

Sarah said...

Just thought you'd want to know that it's 3:28pm here... and it's the same where you are! You're in my timezone! Haha I'm a wee bit excited...

Unknown said...

ahhhh!!! bigbro...you, me, air thai, we're on it!

keep it up beanie :)

Aunt G said...

So Nelle, I don't know why I'm so emotional but I am. So happy to hear that your transition was whatever it was meant to be and you allowed it be that way. Keep living and loving life. Your in my heart always.

Love, Aunt G

Smartash said...

I want a mai tai and fresh noodles. Miss you most.

Rachel said...

Think of me when you ride the elephants =D

Anonymous said...

Hey Crows, sounds great already. I'm all excited for you and thats good its less time to miss you. Cash and I are getting along just fine. She loves getting her "fluids"
Love Pops

Anonymous said...

J-Nell
I feel so much better now knowing you have underware. All else will work out. We are so excited for you. Keep us posted. Enjoy! We love you!

Smartash said...

I need another post now. Thank you.